Monday, February 27, 2012

PTSD and loud farts

last week was a little rough. school is kicking my butt, and overall last week i just felt insecure and anxious. my teacher docked five points from my orgasm paper, and i actually cried about it. those thoughts of you're a failure just wouldn't leave me be.

on the PTSD front, i'm also frustrated. i feel like i'm making progress with everything, but i just wonder sometimes what i expect and if it's realistic. i'm starting to realize that no amount of counseling with make everything from the past just disappear. when i first started counseling, it seemed like i was moving so fast, coming to terms with things, and there was a light at the end of the tunnel. the past month, i feel like i've moved backwards. i'm still having panic attacks, i still have a hard time feeling like the people i love, love me back, and i have felt pretty alone. rationally, i know that healing doesn't happen all at once, and that this is normal, but i just want this to all be gone, like it never happened. which i know is impossible. i've talked a lot with my counselor about turning what happened to me into a positive thing, like being able to look at the strengths i have gained or at how i could help others who are dealing with sexual abuse. but last week i just felt beat up and like i'm going to be stuck in this place forever wondering why it had to happen and how i'm ever going to be ok.
but i guess just the fact that i was able to write all of that and understand that it's what i'm feeling, is a step in the right direction. right?

on a happier note, i do have a funny story. yesterday in sunday school, travis was teaching the lesson. he was doing a great job. then the autistic kid in our class decided to lay on the floor. which is completely fine. we love this kid and enjoy having him in our class. he's a huge teddy bear. so he's laying on the floor, on his belly, and we all smile just keep going with the lesson. a few minutes later, the sweet kid lets out this ten second long, extremely loud, ... fart. like one of the loudest ones i have ever heard in my life. all of us look around at each other, including the kid's older brother, and we just start laughing. not in a mean, making fun of way, but in a i can't believe how hilarious that was, ...way. the kid's older brother is really sweet with him, always helping him calm down. he's the kid in class who doesn't have his parents around and is being raised by grandparents. he is that kid who isn't wearing the coolest clothes, the kid who has probably seen things the others haven't. the other kids don't really get him and his sarcasm, and how he tries to act cool, like he's too cool for church. the other kids don't really include him, but i watch the way he treats his sweet autistic brother and my heart melts. i always try to talk to him and make sure he knows we love him. someday he'll grow up and hopefully realize that he didn't need to be the popular kid to be a wonderful person. you know?

also, i took my first official maternity pictures. seriously, this is all i want to do all the time. this family was so fun to work with and are just beautiful people.

life is hard. but life is also good and i'm so grateful for a loving support system, faith in Jesus Christ, and for our autistic kid's loud fart to help me remember not to be so uptight, and also that it's okay to laugh at ourselves and still love ourselves. you know?

xo




5 comments:

  1. I wish I could formulate something useful or helpful, but really all I can come up with is - you are loved. By me, by Travis, by so. so. many. Never forget that. If that's the last thing you remember and the only thing that keeps you going, then so be it. But don't give up on that.

    Second. You're hilarious. And I love that you share hilarious stories with us all. It makes my day, always.

    Third. I believe in you 100%. If you wanted to be a freaking, I don't know, engineer for NASA or heck, a pro NFL player -- I wouldn't doubt you for a second. ....So when you say you want to be a photographer, I say, "Psh...she's already got this cat in the BAG." Especially after seeing those maternity photos. Simply gorgeous. So natural and easy -

    Even if we aren't in the same neighborhood, I'm glad we can at least be long-distance blog bffs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you! and about the pictures- it means so much coming from m. rose photography because you are a pro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Collette, I'm sorry it's been rough for you. :( I wish there was something I could do to help! You can always call, text, or email me if you need a lift, and I'll shoot back with a million reasons why you are so great - cause you really are! You are such a star, in every way.

    That is so funny about the loud fart, hahaha. I love funny moments like that! Laughing is the best.

    And I love the maternity shots - you really have such a knack for photography! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collette, you really are a wonderful person and you are my example. You are always loving and you have a sweet spirit! You make everyone around you feel comfortable and happy. I remember the first day we met, I felt comfortable talking to you even though it was the first time. you know I weird out when I talk to strangers. Anyways, you are extremely beautiful, talented, strong and funny! I just love you so much! I hate how we are so far away from each other but I'm grateful that we could have this technology to connect us! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you know how much you've progressed. If I think about you today compared to when you first moved to Hawaii, there are miles and miles of difference. It's not that your personality has changed (except that now you'll come do fun things and not stay at home! hooray!), but you just seem.. whole. In Hawaii it seemed like it was tearing you apart every day, but by talking about it with Jessica and Travis (and I'm always here if you need to talk to someone else) you've really started to beat it, and it shows. I love you so much.

    WHALE FART. baaah.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers