Friday, April 27, 2012

asking for help, aka getting uncomfortably personal and begging you to solve all my problems

it is too easy to become bogged down with doubts, anxiety, and worry.
why is it that when we accomplish something, our elation at success lasts such a brief moment?
was it only three weeks ago that we moved into our house and i felt that life could never get better? how does a person hold on to that joy, rather than becoming consumed with new worries and problems?

it's just been a rough week.

i really, really appreciate all your comments about bravery, because brave was the last thing i felt this week.
things are about to get pretty personal up in here.

it seemed like every single thing that could have happened to trigger my PTSD, happened in the last week. good timing too, since i have been taking a break from counseling to see how i do on my own. yeah, not doin' so hot. i want my training wheels back.

i guess it started about a month ago. but i'll back up even further than that. so the guy who assaulted me, i drive by his house to get to my parents'. he still lives there. he is unemployed, addicted to hard drugs, and not doing anything with his life. so a few months into counseling, i did something that was unprecedented. usually, i would drive by his house and pointedly not look, because i didn't want to relive those memories. this time i drove by, without thinking about it, i raised my hand to his house and flipped him off. and then started laughing uncontrollably. and then cried. and since then, every time i drive by, i flip him the bird. and sometimes add some yelling for good measure, like "screw you!" at the top of my lungs. immature? maybe. but it's the only way i have found to confront him and it makes me feel a little stronger. that small gesture is the most i have ever stood up for myself to him.

ok, so a month ago, i drove by, prepared to do my flip off, and noticed that he had just pulled in the driveway. and the panic hit in the pit of my stomach like it always does. part of me wanted to roll down my window and scream and part of me wanted to hide in a dark hole forever and ever. after that happened, it seemed like everything else just piled up on top. seeing a guy i used to date right after everything terrible happened, seeing that guy who is married with a baby on the way, seeing his eyes land on my chest the way they always used to, like that was the only thing i had that he wanted. because i believed my body was the only valuable part of me for so long.

something that seems the most unfair to me is the way sex can be a trigger. i hate that this beautiful, wonderful thing i have with travis can sometimes lead to horrible memories i locked away. shame, guilt, nausea, so many feelings i don't want to feel when we are together in that way. and they have nothing to do with travis, nothing to do with our love. then i try to hide those feelings from him, but he knows me too well. i end up lying, telling him i'm fine, and then locking myself in the bathroom to deal with my panic attacks alone. i don't think my problems should be his problems, which he completely disagrees with.  he comes looking for me and is so hurt to find me hiding. this doesn't happen every time. but it happened this week and i hate hurting him and i hate that sex can do this to me.

of course, travis is so patient and sweet with me. when i lose control and he sees, i'm terrified that he will leave me. because in that moment, i want to leave myself. of course he never leaves. of course he holds my hand and helps me through it. i feel comfortable enough to cry, to be vulnerable, and i couldn't have that without his support. but then i feel guilty for putting that on his shoulders. like, doesn't he deserve someone stronger, without so much baggage?

told you this was going to be personal. i'm laughing and crying and slightly appalled at how personal this is.

also, have any of you had a really difficult time graduating from college? last night in the car, pandora played a slew of songs that i was obsessed with at different points of my college experience and i ended up bawling my eyes out. travis was pretty confused and i didn't express my feelings very well. as i have said before, college taught me so much about myself and i am so depressed to see it ending. it just seems like the end of my youth (stupid, i know) and the beginning of being an adult. and i hate all those adult options!! full time job or start popping out babies. i just feel trapped. travis asked me, "well what do you want to do with your life?"  without missing a beat, i responded with, "go to the beach. (duh!)"

which, now that i think about it, was the same thing i told everyone i was going to do after high school.

gah! just having a rough time of it. can't believe only three weeks ago we moved in here and i thought life would never be hard again. #facepalm

yesterday, i got online to start the job hunt and found nothing. so then i called my doctor's office to schedule getting the IUD out. because obviously to avoid getting a job i have to get pregnant. and then luckily the doctor's office was already closed because having a baby to avoid the failure of not getting a job after spending all that money on college is obviously a bad idea. and then i think, switch it around- if you get a great job, you'll have an excuse to not have a baby because of how great the job is. plus think how rich you'll be.

... what the h?? 

how do i do this? how do i grow up and why is it always so hard? am i just looking at everything from a negative point of view? will i ever want to be a mother? why am i so scared of having a baby? why do i just want to hide under my covers all day?

someone just tell me what to do, kthanks.

xo





7 comments:

  1. I know I'm not going to be a great help here but I just want to tell you that everything is going to be fine. I also had and still have such a hard time trying to figure out my post-grad life but I know it's going to be fine. Don't worry Collette. Things will work out! Just believe in the Lord and smile! He will bless you with many more beautiful things! It will be great! Love you, Collette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a single answer for you. I wish I did. I wish I could say there IS a way to forever be happy and carry that joy around in a mason jar stuffed in our pockets and we could take a big, dizzying breath of it whenever life got hard again and it would make everything all better.

    I wish I could say you'll never have another panic attack again. I wish you could forget it all, so beautiful things with your husband would never get tainted.

    I wish you never felt like you aren't "good enough" for Travis - or anyone else. I know Travis would agree with me -- there is no one else out there in the entire world he would rather have than you. Not only does he deserve an awesome woman like you, but you thoroughly deserve the sweet man that he is. And don't convince yourself otherwise.

    I wish you never needed those training wheels again.

    But, alas, my wishing is completely ineffective up against the beautiful and all-knowing will of God. My wishes turn to prayers for you, my dear.

    And I do have one answer for you: Yes, graduating from college was extremely difficult for me. EXTREMELY. I LOVE school. I wanted to get my masters degree just so I wouldn't have to decide what comes next. I still ache for those days in Hawaii - where I studied on the beach, and I was the top of my class, and I loved my professors and I excelled and I had purpose and a plan and challenges and pride. And when I did graduate, I got scared. I didn't do what I should have done -- which is something I loved. Instead, I took the easy way out. I didn't take a chance trying to get a job I didn't know 100% I would get -- I got a nanny job. And one I ended up hating, too. I DON'T regret getting pregnant -- especially at this point, I am so thrilled and ecstatic to meet him -- but I DO regret not doing something "hard" before. I DO regret the nanny job.

    Oh, and one more thing. Please...please! Don't make it about money. I have thought that thought and felt that feeling, and it just is not. worth. it. God will provide.

    That's all I can offer you, sis. Take it and run, and wherever you go you'll be brilliant. And this is insanely long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am well aware that we have never met in person but clearly I blog stalk you (because Alyssa thinks you're amazing). This post is wonderful.

    This issue with bravery and conquering issues is lovely and is one I've been thinking about in the last few weeks. It happens to me - a lot. More than I would care to admit to anyone around me who wants me to be better, to be moving on, to be growing, and to be learning from the past but leaving it behind. When I'm thrown back, I often don't even know what the trigger is, and when I do it seems so ridiculous, like I should be able to handle it without losing my stability,

    I'm rambling. The point is that I very much identify with coming undone at something that you think you should be able to handle. And your ability to admit it and discuss it is admirable and very brave.

    It's been a very rough week for me as well. One sentence in a book (a children's book of fiction at that) caused me to fall apart and feel like I had regressed, losing a whole year's worth of work and perspective. That is likely incorrect. I am still moving forward, despite the setback. But in the moment it is so discouraging. In the moment all I want to do is quit and stop trying because all I feel is 'why bother?' and 'it will never be better'.

    Your post is beautiful and honest and a blessing for me. Sorry for the creepiness, but I felt it needed to be said.

    Lastly, this quote is great and certainly applies:
    “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Collette, I just want to give you a big hug. {*Cyber-hug!* - did you feel it? :)}

    So sorry it's been a rough week. I'm not a counselor or full of infinite wisdom... but I guess what I'm thinking is that it's okay. It's okay to feel hurt or scared or sad or nervous sometimes. It's okay to feel those emotions, because we're human & those feelings are natural. I think the key is to let yourself feel it out, but then to pick yourself back up & resolve to move forward with faith & hope.

    I don't know about you, but whenever I'm feeling vulnerable or weak, I like to remember the book of Psalms. There are so many scriptures in there that seem to mimic my soul & speak peace + comfort to me. My favorite is Psalms 27:1 -- "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

    And another one I love is Psalms 30:5 -- "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

    I love those, because it reminds me that it's okay to cry & feel sad or apprehensive... but only for a moment. Then it's time to cheer up and be brave & remember that God is my strength -- through Him, I can do [& overcome] anything! That's so empowering to me. I love it.

    You'll figure everything out! Whether it's a job or having a baby [which, seriously, is one of the coolest experiences ever -- feeling a living human being move around inside of you is just like, "WHOA! Seriously?! How is this happening!?" and it just reminds me of the goodness & divinity & power of God]

    ...you'll rock whatever you do, because you're Collette! And you have that power & strength in you. Your potential is limitless. You can do anything! If you feel a negative or doubtful thought coming on, replace it with something positive & empowering. Positive thinking is so powerful & can change your life, since everything stems from our thoughts. I'm a huge believer in that!!

    Anyway. Sorry to ramble. Hope things start getting better :) I love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collette baby I love you and lots of other people like your family and friends and husband and Heavenly Father all love you too. I know it is cliche, but all the feeling bad makes feeling good even better. And if we felt good all the time it wouldn't feel so good anymore. Somehow all these bad things will turn into good, because the universe is all about balance. And your life will not be weighed down with bad feelings. That's not how the universe works. The good will come and be heavy and good and wonderful.

    And I didn't have a hard time graduating right when I did. At the time I felt extremely relieved. But when it was hard to figure out what to do next, then it was terrible. But life takes time. Lots of trying and stopping and trying and moving on to something else and then finally landing in something just right. There's so much more to come. Love you boo

    ReplyDelete
  6. look here: http://healthcarejobs.utah.edu/search?q=psychiatric+technician
    i have loved being a psych tech at UNI. I hear working at the main hospital is pretty great as well. look around, a little. You might love it like I have. You get to experience treatment on so many levels, and sometimes even feel like you change someone's life. It feels good to do what you love, if you love psychology.
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wouldn't it be great if we could all just plan each others' lives? We'd make the sensible, logical decisions for each other, knowing that having babies would be great for YOU, but for YOU you should go get a job, and YOU should break up with this girl, and YOU should marry this guy, and YOU should move to Brazil and become a yoga instructor, etc.

    But that ain't the way it works is it? If someone made any of those decisions for you, you'd resent him or her for it, even if it was what you wanted. You'd resent that person because they took away your ability to choose and decide for yourself.

    As if me saying it will do any good, don't worry too much about any of it. The PTSD, your insecurities about telling Travis stuff, what to do next, don't invest too much energy in any of it. You're on the right track right now. You've been in therapy and you're trying to spread your wings, which is a good choice. You've worked hard for five to six years and you're about to get a degree, which is a good choice. And you're married and working really hard to make it all work, which is a good choice. You're doing AWESOME things (and I mean that in the real sense of the word, not the Barney-Stinson sense). What comes next won't be any less awesome, because tomorrow's events are built on the good decisions you're making today.

    Plus, God has a pretty good record of bringing us through things. So far, He's batting 1.000, why would that ever change?

    Love you homegurl.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers