Wednesday, May 15, 2013

mother's day.

this year was my first mother's day.
obviously.

i have always had a special relationship with my mother, so mother's day has always been special to me, and adding the new twist of being a mother myself this year only made it better.

and not just because i got the mother's day treatment, yummy breakfast, thoughtful gifts, delicious dinner of sauerbraten roast beef, (that i could finally eat!) and a beautiful letter from travis. becoming a mother has been a pretty neat-o experience. so hard, but feeling the love is quite the reward.


i am lucky to have the example of my mother. would you believe that this sweet woman once crawled through a tiny window at a hole in the wall restaurant to fight with the cook who served me raw chicken and then denied it? she crawled through that window and bellowed at the cook, saying she was going to get his place shut down. she then yelled to all the customers waiting in line that he had served me raw chicken and they should go elsewhere. this is just one tiny example of how she has always fought for me, for whatever i needed. she believes in me, laughs with me, and drops everything for me. my day isn't complete until we have talked, either in person or on the phone. how lucky am i to have such a mother, who is also my best friend.





watching her be a grandmother to my baby. that's pretty great too. how lucky are you, remington.


plus i have my second mother, travis's mom, who is an incredible mother as well. she always told me that her children were her "homemade best friends." love that and love her. she is ridiculously generous and always always puts her children first.


i've learned a few things about what it means to be a mother. a few weeks ago, i had no idea how to care for a newborn. now, i know more about taking care of this guy than anyone else. i love being his mom! it's funny, but i feel like this was something i was born to do, which is not how i thought i would feel.



love his little face, the grunting sounds he makes in his sleep, how he hums while he eats, the smiles he gives me while i sing to him, the smell of his hair, munching on his little toes.

...do you see what has happened here?

love.
xo.

4 comments:

  1. munching on his toes...you toe nabba!!!

    i'm sure you'll be and you already are a stupendous mother. Sending my love to you and LuAnn! I admire you two so much!

    Also my entire family has your blog bookmarked and sometimes they call me to ask "have you read collette's blog yet?" and we all love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so your mom's mini me. And I knew you'd be a boss mom yourself. Love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great mother! I love watching you take care of Remy! And I love watching how he turns to you when he hears your voice. He loves his mommy! One day you will crawl through a small window for him! I love you!!!! I knew you would rock being a mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely see what's happened there.

    Mommyhood looks incredible on you. Oh I'm just so proud of you. Gosh I'd love to meet your family one day!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers