Friday, May 22, 2009

possibly the best thing in the world is when i go to scratch my ear, and sand falls out. or when i crawl into bed and my feet are greeted with the scratch of sand in my sheets. or when i put my hands into the pockets of my jeans and a clump of sand says "hello. you should do laundry more often."

maybe the best thing in the world is when keola and i go kayaking. we push the one-man kayak in to the water at hukilau, feeling so important and cool with our boat. then we try to fit the both of us on the little blue seat. two brown, built men are watching us.

"have you girls done this before?" they inquire carefully.

"oh of course. plenty of times." we reply, not looking at their smiles.

just as we say this, i jump aboard and knock the kayak over, banging keola's foot, making her bleed, and come up spitting salt water. the men wade over and hold the kayak for us. we only capsize five more times before finding our balance, amid much laughter and humiliation. the good kind, though.

actually, the best thing in the world is probably having an entire day to yourself, to think and remember and ponder. to cook dinner for yourself, and be happy to eat alone. it's like conor o. says, "when everything is lonely, i can be my own best friend. I get a coffee and the paper, have my own converstion. with the sidewalk and the pidgeons, and my window relflection."

ok, let's be honest. the best thing in the world is to re-read harry potter seven. :)

2 comments:

  1. all of the above.

    true story.

    but even better than eating dinner by yourself and being happy to eat alone is eating dinner with your "LeZbIaN" roommate on a Wednesday night.

    Larf

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no best thing. there is plenty of best thing"s", I think that works better for you. instead of overwriting each item every time you get something better. how's that?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers