Thursday, February 27, 2014

only.

it's late.
my favorite time to write.
as night wears on, i wax sentimental and nostalgic, which usually makes for my best writing, the kind of writing that gets it all out and leaves you feeling cleansed.

i'm trying to be better about not bottling up everything i feel. i usually wait for the storm to pass to write it out, but i'm afraid it will take years for this pain i have to leave, like most of the hard things we go through.

about four months ago i was sitting in my therapist's office, in the maroon wing back chair on the left.
like usual.
the session was getting close to being over, and i was finally crying. i say finally because i had been attending months of counseling without feeling like i was letting myself feel anything. the postpartum depression, the hyperemesis pregnancy, the feelings of wanting to leave the church, the suicide and OCD issues. i'd sit in that chair and hear myself talk in a calm voice. i was saying all the right things, how hard it all was and how sad i was, but i wasn't feeling any of it.

when i had gone to therapy for sexual assault, from the first session on, i felt everything. finally after almost a decade of keeping it all in, i allowed myself to cry and rage and mourn.
it was wonderful.

but trying to work through all the events of the past year just wasn't working.

until finally one day i figured out the part that really hurts.
i mean, all of it hurts. but this part, it took a while to admit out loud.

so i'm sitting in that chair, legs crossed, arms crossed. jessica, my therapist, says something that hits me.
"you're grieving. what you are feeling is grief."

i had just told her about a family member saying something about "filling up all those bedrooms" with children and how devastating it was to me that i'll never have another baby. never experience that magical moment, where the child is placed on your chest and your eyes meet for the first time.
with her eyes on my face, i finally feel the tears. finally feel my chest fill up with emotion.

"it's normal to feel a loss over this." she says. "you are grieving for those children you always thought you'd have."


and here is where i hear a lot of arguments in my head.

well technically you can have more.
maybe your next pregnancy would be better.
well at least you have one child. a lot of people don't get that.
what about adoption?


yes, i could get pregnant again. not a risk i'm willing to make. i won't spend 8 months puking and laying on the couch trying not to smell anything while remington lives with my mom and i miss out on his life. i won't give up what little enamel i have left on my teeth. no more IVs. no more $17,000 medical bills out of pocket.

and don't think i'm not thankful for remy. i know that so many people try for years, spend thousands of dollars and still never have the chance to have a baby. i know that adoption is an option, but it's a pretty expensive option that might not be possible for us.
i know that i am very blessed to have my healthy son.
i know.

sheesh, just let me feel my feelings, self.

day to day, i'm fine. i'm so happy! i love spending my days with my boy.
it's the small reminders that sting unexpectedly.

when you're joking with your husband about the little black book of sexy pictures you gave him, how someday when you're dead and your house needs cleaning out, the kids will find the book in the back of the closet and freak out. kids. and then you remember. kid.

when everyone you know seems to be pregnant with a girl, and you know that you'll never know what your little girl would look like, if she'd have her daddy's nose or your brown curls. and oh how you wanted to have a little girl.

when a stranger gives you baby advice and you say, oh i've never heard that, cool. and they say, oh you can use it with your next one.

when your family members sit and talk about the future, who will have a baby and when. they avoid discussing you.

when you walk down the street and see two brothers on their front porch holding sparklers. playing catch, riding bikes. you wonder, who will my child play with? will he wish for siblings? 

that grief, he's a sneaky basty.

it's a good thing i'm not going to church, or i'd probably feel worse, what with all the primary programs and mention of spirit children needing physical bodies, all the jokes about, "when's the next one?" with the other dads elbowing travis jokingly.

a few days ago, i went to a doTerra essential oils party. it was really interesting and i ordered a few things to try it out. there was also a test you could take, where you put your hand on a scanner and it supposedly scans your energy and lets you know what imbalances your body has and which oils could help. (clever marketing scheme.) my scan showed that i need ginger. the saleswoman leaned toward me and said excitedly, "ginger? are you pregnant?? most women who get this result are pregnant."

it took my breath away for a minute.
for a split second, the idea that i could be pregnant was exciting and hopeful and miraculous, just like when we first decided to start trying.
and then reality.
partly because the idea of me being pregnant again is the scariest thing she could say, and partly because WHAM, no i'm not pregnant, and i'll never be again, and i'll never get that pregnancy i thought i was in for, the one that is a celebration of the life you're creating, the pregnancy that feels like a pregnancy, not a terminal illness.

i don't want any of you who are pregnant or trying or whatever to feel like you can't talk to me about it. of course i'm ecstatic for you! but yeah, sometimes i cry about it all. jessica told me that grief can take time. it takes time to readjust your expectations and ideas about what your life will be like. but over time, the pain hurts less and you don't lose your breath every time someone mentions more children.

in the meantime, if you are the parent of an only child, or are an only child, let me know how that's going for you.

xo.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Colette,
    I've been reading your blog for a while. I went to BYUH as well and lived with Mormons for 6 years of my life. But I am from Europe. And agnostic. And an only child. None of my Mormon friends talk so openly about their emotional conflicts the LDS church generates in their lives, especially the women, as you do. You seem like such an authentic person. And that is very rare these days.

    I just want you to know that for me there has never been a time in my life that I had wished to have siblings because I felt alone as an only child. In fact, many of my friends are only children too, and I think it is very common where I am from. My parents and the rest of my family just always paid attention to treating my friends like they were my siblings. I always took a friend with me to my grand parents house, on vacations, shared a nanny after school, had matching clothes etc.
    And being an only child has certainly not turned me into an egotistic, selfish, socially-retarded person. It is quite the opposite. I think growing up and being around adults for a big part of my childhood has made me a lot more mature and independent. I am 24 years-old but I often get told that I act and think years beyond that. Your concern about having an only child in my opinion is absolutely just a product of your environment and upbringing.

    And if it interests you, I don't want to have any children of my own. Ever. Never have, and probably never will. People look at me like I have no heart when I say that. Even though I am the most empathetic person I know aside from my own mother maybe.
    I ask these people, "Is having a child the most selfless thing you can do?"; "Why should I put a human being into this world when it is not something I want for my life?"; "So you say people that have children but abuse them, neglect them, don't love them as much as they deserve are still more selfless than I am just because of the fact that they reproduced?"
    I personally believe that my biological capability of bearing a child is at max equal to all the things I can achieve in my life and do for others through my work and education. For example, one of the people that give me a lot of inspiration is the Dalai Lama. And I don't remember him being a father. If you get the chance read "the art of happiness". :)
    So please Colette, don't let other people make you feel like your contribution to this world is measured by the number of children you put in it or that it is the only thing you can contribute. The path to happiness is simply different for everyone. There are so many ways to make a difference and be happy. And your writing has already made one in mine.

    - RM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things!

    My pregnancy with my first was a piece of cake. But the postpartum was debilitating. I was miserable and felt like I'd been duped into being a mother by all those people saying how magical and wonderful it is. Meanwhile, I wanted to leave my baby in her crib and never return.

    Nearly four years later, I talked myself in to having one more. And this pregnancy has been horrible. All the puking and the bleeding and just the complete opposite of my first. What's hard is people being like... "I told you so! I knew you couldn't have just one!" and here I am almost thinking I shouldn't have done this again. Yes, I want this second baby now that he's on his way, but every time I'm sick and miserable I feel like I must have made a mistake.

    I wish in our society that having kids wasn't everyone else's business. There are way too many thoughtless comments and people really have no idea what someone else truly feels when they have experiences like this. Experiences that make them question the validity of motherhood being a "divine calling." I certainly don't feel that way about motherhood. At. All. And I've had people gasp and question how on earth I could feel that way. Well, easy. I feel that way because pregnancy and motherhood are hard and, in the case of motherhood, it can be hard for an indeterminable amount of time.

    I wish you the best as you come to terms with your grief. I think you're quite justified in your feelings and have every right to feel how you do based on your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things that suck most about being an only child don't really come to life until your older I think. Growing up I don't think that I ever felt like I had less of a life because I didn't have siblings. In fact, I think that I was able to have more opportunities because I was the only one. I was able to dance, able to have pretty much anything that I needed, but also had parents who made me work for the things I received. I was able to have a mother who was 110% involved and supportive of my pageant life. Making sure that I had the most beautiful gowns and heels and that my hair and make up was done perfectly... I am forever grateful for that. My relationship with my mother is so strong because we only had each other. Sure that is a mix of having divorced parents, but I also think that the fact that I didn't have to share my time with anyone for her was huge.

    I didn't find out until recently that my mother and father wanted more children. That my mother didn't have her tubes tied until years after their divorce. I guess they just ran out of "good" years by the time I came along. It makes me sad because I think that maybe if they had stayed married there would be a sibling... or if they had started before they were 30.... or... or... or...

    It wasn't hard, the first 20 or so years of life. Then your parents get older, and their parents get older. And you watch how hard it is for your parents and their siblings to watch their parents get ill and pass away... and you feel angry because you will have to go through that alone. I will be the one to make funeral arrangements. I will be the one who has to decide which casket. I will be the one who they have to call and to tell the time of death. And THAT is when it hurts. THAT is when I will wish that there was someone else in the world who loved my parents the same way I do.

    I would be lying if I said that I didn't wish I had a sibling. When Joe and I got married, it was culture shock for an only child to now be a part of a family with 7 children. 7 different people all from the same place. It is a beautiful chaos that I am grateful I get to be a part of. If there is one thing that Joe and I have promised each other, it is that we will have at least 2 children. Whether they both come from me, adoption, surrogacy, or what have you. There will be 2. They will need each other, maybe not in their youth, but they will thank me someday for giving them each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh. Mind you, I've never been pregnant, but I dealt with serious illness as a child (incessant vomiting, abdomen issues, etc) and it scarred me. I have severe anxiety and probably PTSD from it. So while I don't know at all what you're going through, I too have been ill and fear feeling that way ever again. I don't blame you for not wanting to be pregnant again. Its so unfair that you were so sick. Remy is adorable and I know you and Trav will be great whatever you decide to do! That guy at the top sounds pretty wise. PS my mom wanted to have another child after me, but she went into cardiac arrest during the delivery and that was it. LISTEN to YOUR body. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I apologize in advance fort he way too long post.... :)

    To Cari, I just wanted to say that I, too, have that really special bond with my mother that I have not seen in a child with a sibling yet. And being the only child was also the reason why I was able to have so many opportunities in my life.

    About having to deal with the loss of a parent, I think you have a very valid point. Having to go through that by yourself IS difficult. I have been there. My parents were divorced too, and I lost my father when I turned 21. Also, my dad was and mom (now 60) is an only child as well, so hence I have a super tiny family. First her father passed away, then my dad, then my dad’s dad. Both my grandma’s are still alive but one has Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s and the other is way beyond ninety and slightly dement. So technically my family consists of my great uncle and my mom.

    It was and still is hard to almost be a parent to my mother right now because of all the things she has to deal with. But she did so much for me in my life that I owe it to her. I think the sacrifices she made and women today continuously make by having children and raising them are equal to what you have to do for your parents when they get old.

    I can only speak for myself, but I still don’t wish for a sibling even in these times. I know brothers and sisters that don’t talk to each other, children that are not in contact with their parents anymore, families that have lost a child or have a disabled child.......There are simply too many unexpected things that can happen and no guarantee that a sibling will mean you will have a less difficult time when it comes to losing a parent. Everyone experiences adversity; you can’t grow without it. And I accepted that mine is going through the loss of my parents by myself. But when I have a bad day and miss my dad or grand parents, I snap out of it and put my life into perspective. There are certainly far worse fates in this world than me being an only child from a „1st world“ country having to deal with this alone. I refuse to pity myself and dwell on it. I have it way too good to be ungrateful because of that.

    Also, I did not have a partner when all this happened. But close friendships. This is probably a cultural thing, but I have friends that are like family to me and I am to them. My best friend is like the sister I never had and she counts on me 1miollion times more than she does on her own brother. I always had and have people I can count on in my life. They are just not closely genetically related to me.

    Now I do have a partner and it does „help“ at times. But sibling or no sibling, to me there has been no one or nothing really helping me with my grief except fort he realization that you can't make your happiness dependent on another person. And I can only help my mom and be strong when I am happy myself. For some people that includes having 0 and for others 1,2,3,4....children. I personally know that I am not wired and strong enough to even have one child. And I have no shame admitting that. Because no doubt, parenting is THE most underrated job in the world. So I do something else I am good at.

    Along those lines, I think many mothers today mistake selflessness with giving up too much of their own happiness. But that’s an erroneous misbelief that sadly leaves many women feeling guilty no matter what they decide. My mom had a magical pregnancy and refers to it as the best 7 months of her life but she never for one second thought about all the negative aspects of having just one kid. Because there can be even more by having two. You will never know.

    Whatever you do, if it doesn’t hurt anyone and makes you happy, you will also be in a position where you can be an inspiration and make other people in your life happy, may that be your husband, relatives, friends or strangers. There is no perfect family and you can't please everyone. Be selfless enough to give it your best genuine try, but be selfish enough to not compromise your own happiness.

    -RM

    ReplyDelete
  6. like cari said, it's not really something you think about when you're young. you just know that you don't have siblings like your friends do, but that's ok. you're parents look out for your well being better than any parent can, because they only have to focus on you. (which can be a double sided coin, when you're a rebellious teenager...) but i won't say i never wished for a sibling, because i did. you think it'd be so cool to have an older sister to show you how to do your makeup or borrow clothes with. or an older brother to stick up for you to the girl who made fun of you, or to teach you how to stick up for yourself. but you don't really know what you're missing. you just go off of what you see in movies or tv shows. and of course, that's never how real life is. now that i'm a parent, you realize that yes, it would be really nice to have a sibling so my child can have cousins, i can have a niece or nephew. someone who gets what it's like being a parent for the first time, someone you can talk to about how to manage your tantrum throwing child. someone who you can cry with when mom and dad pass away. someone who will feel and understand that same exact loss. now it's different for me because i do have a half sibling -- that i'm more than two decades older than. so it'll be nice later on when he's older and can comprehend things a little more. but with my parents being divorced, when my dad passes away, i'll be alone with that and it's something i'm not looking forward to. remy will be fine whatever you choose. he will not be some dis-social, mentally delayed child because of being an only child. people always asked me, wasn't it so boring to be an only child?? i always answered, no. when you don't know anything different it's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers