Friday, March 30, 2012

that time your period is a week late

so my period is a week late.
yesterday at school, i was having a little bit of trouble studying for my test.

sitting in the library:
is this why you  have been feeling so nauseous the past two weeks?
yeah, you never feel nauseous!
is this why you have had heartburn like crazy this month? 
wait, you did end your period on the 6th of last month right? yeah, and it lasted like 12 days. 
yeah, usually you start on the 21st or so. 
there's no way! the IUD is more effective than birth control! it would be like .000000001 chance! 
wait, that math can't be right. what does that even mean! gah, i can't even do simple math! 
ok stop this, you have a test in an hour and you still need to memorize the definition of convergent validity. 

oh and yes, when i talk to myself, i address me as 'you.' do you do that too? 

so then i had crazy amounts of butterflies in my stomach as i did the whole, "11:30pm florescent lighting wallmart stand in front of family planning aisle picking out pregnancy tests every magazine cover's headliner is about pregnant celebrities it's a sign feel guilty walk of shame why do i feel guilty buying a pregnancy test the cashier is looking at me like i'm too young to be pregnant quick flash your ring in her face!" ...thing.

then i drive home, well to travis's parents' home since i'm still staying there while travis is gone, fly up the stairs, rip the packaging open, read the directions, because what if there's a wrong way to pee on a pregnancy test, actually there is you have to face it downward, and then i try to aim the pee so it gets a full five seconds, but only five seconds like the box says, get pee all over my thighs and hands, and then wait.

for two minutes.

and the blue line informs me that i'm not pregnant.


phew.

so can stress make your periods late? because my periods are like clockwork and this is really strange. or is the test lying! and if the test is lying, what happens if my IUD is in there while i'm pregnant?! 
no, i'm pretty sure stress can mess with menstrual cycles. the stress would explain the heartburn too.
so that's basically what's been goin' on around here. pretty sure i aced my test yesterday. been unpacking the little stuff into the new house. drove by the old house last night, yeah creepy i know, and there was this INCREDIBLE humongous painting on the wall in the front room that totally went with the paint color i chose and i felt so happy that our house is in the hands of someone who appreciates art.

but um, if you have any thoughts explaining my period being late and the pregnancy test being negative, that would be real swell.

may your cycles always be regular and cramp-free.
and may the odds be ever, in your favor. 

xo



6 comments:

  1. stress can definitely affect your period! that is totally a thing. your body goes into survival mode and is like, screw you eggs, you're not going anywhere, this is a TERRIBLE time to turn into babies.

    deep breaths. deeeep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. And am going to share my story (it's definitely tmi, so brace yourself) - I can relate to this in several ways, except for the whole "having sex" thing. I also have that freaking copper IUD. (I WAS getting married and wanted it as birth control and also needed it to solve some health problems I was having with my lady region. Win-win, theoretically.) Getting it in place was also one of the most painful things I have every felt. I am now terrified of labor, even more than I used to be (which was quite a bit). This thing messes with your periods, fo' sure. In January, I missed mine and then it was looking like it never was going to come in February. I seriously considered taking a pregnancy test, even though I have never even come close to sex. Logic entirely left me and left me with irrational fears. I, know, so stupid. My rational side (barely) won out in the end, and I didn't buy a test. I got my period a week later and it last 13 (!) miserable days. I'm sure I'll come to appreciate the birth control method when I eventually need it, but right now I just have a hate relationship (not even close to love-hate) with that thing. And based on how it treats me, the feeling is mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I can't even do simple math!"

    You are so stinkin hilarious. And yes, stress makes your dot hop around. "Screw you eggs, you're not going anywhere, this is a terrible time to turn into babies." Oh my gosh dying laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Screw you eggs, you're not going anywhere, this is a terrible time to turn into babies."

    The general feeling of the post and comments had me a little creeped out (I'm a dude, we don't like periods, sorry), but this comment made me l-lol for like five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys should really read her blog. she is hilarious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers