Saturday, December 28, 2013

how i lost my testimony and found myself, part II

today one of my cousins was sealed to his sweetheart in the temple.
this was the first temple event i wasn't able to attend. travis wasn't home, so i didn't have anyone to watch remy anyway.
i did join the family for the luncheon afterwards though.
when he and his new bride walked in the room, i looked hard at their faces, wondering what their experience in the temple had been like.
i thought back to mine.

growing up in the lds church, you are taught from birth that the ultimate goal is to be sealed to your family in the temple. this is the only way you can be with them forever. i can recite handfuls of primary songs that talk about the importance of entering the temple and participating in the sacred ordinances there. of  course, you don't really learn much about what to expect, besides the sealing ordinance.

and if you are starting to get nervous that i'm going to reveal all the secrets of temple ordinances, rest easy. i may not believe, but i still respect others who do. i'm going to talk about some things in the temple, but nothing i covenanted not to reveal.

growing up, there was enormous pressure to marry in the temple. just about every young women's lesson had some piece that involved being worthy to marry your eternal companion there. i knew i would be married there, no question.

as the time came closer, i wasn't worried. if you were raised in the church, you have heard all the stories about people being "weirded out" by their first experience in the temple. no one ever tells you why, besides that there are rituals that seem strange to our modern culture. but everyone says, "it gets less weird."

i had great faith, so i knew it would be okay. i was excited to finally discover the secrets i'd waited 22 years to learn. i was nervous about the garment thing, but i knew i had to deal with it if i wanted a temple marriage.

travis and i went for interviews with the stake president to declare our worthiness to enter the temple and receive our endowments. we entered the stake president's office together first. this is where things became uncomfortable.

the stake president was an older man, like most stake presidents tend to be. he smiled and was charismatic. then he started making comments, comments like, my eyesight must be bad, because it was a "mormon miracle" that travis and i were engaged. those were his words. he exclaimed about my looks, that i was a beautiful girl. he asked me all about my exercise routines. travis and i exchanged looks several times; we were uncomfortable with this man. i felt like i was being hit on by this leader in our church who was there to interview us for our worthiness. then i was alone in the room with him answering the questions, yes i have a testimony, yes i pay my tithing, yes i keep the law of chastity. he leered at me. i felt uncomfortable.

travis and i were so bothered that we requested to speak to the president of his parents' stake. we told him about the interview and the man just said, "that's strange. he is such a nice man."

that was the end of that. just another awkward encounter with a man in a position of power, making me feel very small.

the day soon came when we were to take out our endowments.
travis was nervous going in. i was calm. until i was standing in a changing room putting on garments for the first time. i had had a terrible time figuring out which size i needed, because you aren't allowed to try any on before being endowed. the ones i had bought were far too small in the waist and i felt like i was being cut in half. deep breaths kept me going. i had so many questions during the initiatory portion. we were late for our session because i kept asking the matron concern after concern. there were beautiful parts, yes, but there were things i was worried about, like the part about my obedience to my husband. i wondered if he was promising to be obedient to me in another room in the temple. i doubted it.

during the endowment session, my heart sunk further.
i had to promise to hearken to my husband, while he promised to hearken to God.

this was long before i identified as a feminist. i hadn't been "indoctrinated" by any secular classes or ideas. this was just me feeling like i was being told "you aren't equal to your husband." there were many other similar things that made me feel like my husband was the boss of me. i was not comfortable with any of this. but what was i supposed to do? i had been promised all my life that this was the only right way, the only way to be with my husband forever. how could i choose between eternity and feeling comfortable? maybe i just didn't have enough faith. there had to be more meaning behind all this.

everyone hugged me. tears were shed when it was all over. i felt that at least i was making my parents and grandparents proud. that had to mean something. but inside i was screaming, doesn't anyone else feel completely freaked out right now??!

the next day travis and i drove downtown to get our marriage license. sitting there in the parking garage with travis, i had a meltdown. "i'm so confused. are we equals? are you my boss?" he assured me that our relationship was still the same as before, that he didn't consider himself above me. i trusted him. i tried to put my fears aside. guests were flying in. arrangements had been made. we had already booked the bluegrass band and the photographer.

i wanted to marry travis. i just wasn't sure about the temple anymore.

the morning of our wedding day, travis picked me up and took me to the temple. i was obsessing over the length of my dress; were my garments peeking through in the back?

before the ceremony, i made several trips to the bathroom to kneel on the floor and ask God if i was doing the right thing.
entering the celestial room with travis was strange. everyone was so happy to see us. on the other hand, i hadn't pictured myself being married in temple clothes.

during the ceremony, i noted that i had to "give myself" to travis while he didn't have to "give himself" to me. he received me. i wondered what that meant. after the sealing, we were speaking to the man who sealed us. he said, "i can tell who is 'the boss' in this relationship." he winked at me and i laughed. then he went on. "but i want you to remember that travis had the priesthood and that he has stewardship."

again, that message that because i am a woman, i am not in charge of myself.

i tried to focus on the beautiful things, like my dad tearing up during the ceremony. my parents were so proud of me. everyone hugged us and loved on us. this had to be right.
this had to be right.

then our honeymoon with the horrible, scary, painful sex and us thinking we were going to get divorced. i've covered this story before.

i tried so hard. i wore my garments day and night. i attended the temple and tried to find meaning in the parts that terrified me. was i less important to God because i am a woman? what did all this mean? i thought that if i was faithful, that someday i would understand. and in the meantime, i was uncomfortable and sad during every session.

of course i didn't really talk about this. i didn't think i was allowed to talk. once, i did ask travis's grandpa about the difference in wording in the sealing ordinance. i didn't much like his answer. "it's because the men have the priesthood."

this has been going on for years. and then i started learning about Ordain Women, a group of active LDS church members who want women to hold the priesthood too. i'm not going to debate this here, because i've heard every argument for and against it. i realized that there were other people out there who felt the same way i did about women being unequal in the church. i wanted to be able to bless my baby on his blessing day.

then these women weren't allowed into the conference center to view the priesthood session.
these women were told there wasn't any room. except that men took pictures of empty seats.
and the next day in conference, a prophet gave a talk about how everyone is welcome, there is a place for you, there is room for you.
unless you are a woman who wants to simply attend priesthood session.

i realized i didn't believe him. all the other conference talks just made me sad and angry. no homosexuality. women should stay in the home with the children. men preside over their families with the priesthood.

then the whole thing about blacks and the priesthood recently.

i realized i don't believe that prophets speak the word of God. i realized i think they are just men who are products of their time and culture. who knows what the church will be like in 50 more years when our generation is running things.

i'm sorry if all these things seem unorganized and jumbled.
it's a lot.
obviously there are lots of details i'm leaving out because i can't get it all out at once.

basically i lost my testimony of prophets.

all this started stacking up. the way my sexual assault was handled, the way i felt during pregnancy and postpartum.

the way when my baby brother was having a tough time with church, the members of the lds church were awful to him.

the way i disagree with a lot of church policies, most of the manuals, and most social issues.

why was i staying in an organization that i didn't really like and that made me feel like less of a human being for being a woman? i realized that if it were any other organization, i would have left a long time ago.

and you know the rest, that i stopped wearing my garments and going to church.

as for what i believe now, that 's part III.

i still believe in God. i've had several experiences with Him that are too real for me to explain away.
i still believe in Jesus and that he died on the cross for me.
that's about where i'm at right now.

 whew.

i'd love to hear your stories of what you believe and why. we are all just human beings who want to make sense of our experiences and feel validated and loved.

thanks for listening.

xo.

8 comments:

  1. It's amazing to me how similar, yet drastically different our experiences are. When I left, I wanted to say all the reasons that led to me loosing my testimony but I was uncomfortable starting that discussion. I felt comfortable saying that I left, but I think it's awesome that you are stating the reasons.

    After we left, we were really lucky to have friends that have us the book "Transforming Grace" by Jerry Bridges. It really helped me get out of the "works" mindset of religion, which focuses on all the things you must do to be worthy, and taught me about Grace. It has changed everything for me, and has deepened my relationship with God more than ever before. I don't feel the need to be anything more than I am, or to try and earn anything anymore. And taking that pressure off has 1. Made me happier and 2. Made me feel more loving and less judgemental of others.

    Anyways, thanks for saying everything I was too chicken to say :) your my hero! PleAse keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that God and His plan are much grander than we even come close to comprehending and that we do ourselves a great disservice when we try to bunch everything up and stick it all in a little box called "church"(whatever church that may be). There are many questions I have and issues I struggle with concerning religion in general, the LDS religion specifically since that's the one I belong to. However, God has promised us that when it's time all things will be revealed and when that happens I really think all the issues we struggle with will make perfect sense to us. On a side note, since I've been trying to study and ponder it a little bit deeper recently- The priesthood is very complex but when we research the pure form of the priesthood I think it's really very beautiful. One part I think that is beautiful is that the priesthood in it's highest order cannot exist without women (research as much as you can about the new and everlasting covenant- awesome stuff). There's a great circle that exists where a man cannot reach his full potential without his wife nor can a woman reach her full potential without her husband. Women play a vital role in the overall plan, equal to a mans by all accounts. I'm sorry that you've had some run-ins with some men who hold the priesthood in the past, that's difficult and makes me sad. I do like to try to look past the mortal men who hold the priesthood (the awesome ones and the total jerks because both definitely exist) and study what the power of the priesthood actually is and the purpose behind it, fascinating stuff. Anyways, hang in there Collette. Just like you said, we're all just trying to figure stuff out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quit going to Church when I was 18 years old. I was never really active in the church because my dad isn't a part of any religion. My mom was LDS and we would go when my dad was at the Station but if he was home we would do things as a family. After they got divorced I started going to church every Sunday because my mom and step dad believed in it. I do believe in a God, but I don't believe that I have to show that by going to Church every week to show that I believe in it. I don't believe in a lot of things that they teach. I believe that everyone, no matter if you are gay, straight, black, or white should feel like they are a part of something great. I don't think anyone should not be included because of one of those things.

    I am wording this horribly but honestly, I admire you for speaking about what you think. People might not agree with some of it, but what matters is how you feel and that you are at peace with it. I have had a lot of crap because I quit going, including some friends that have stopped talking to me because I am not active anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Originally, I feared the day these posts would come. I respect you Collette and the choices you have made. As I read your blog I feel we have gone through a lot of similar things. Not all of course and none exactly, but I feel I can relate. So I was planning on not reading these posts just because I relate to you and I didn't need anything more to spark my emotions. But I read them, I am drawn to your blogs as it makes my reality seem a little less dark, just because I know I'm not alone in these battles. And even though I read them nothing drastic happened. I am still me. It has even helped me reflect on what I believe in. And this it, my strong and simple testimony:

    That I am a daughter of God and I know he thinks about me everyday. I know that I go to church to learn because I forget a lot and my fiance knows very little. I know I go to church so I can sit by those that feel that God doesn't think about them often. I go to church to know that I am not the only one in this big crazy world that needs something or someone to lean on. I truly believe that most things should only be shared between myself and God. No middle man, because Heavenly Father knows me and can figure out what I'm trying to say. He knows that I'm good and trying my best. I don't have to explain myself he knows what my true intentions are. I believe that at the end of the day all of this will be sorted out in the here after. No matter what happens, God will make it right in the end. It may not be here on Earth, but it will be right. I know I have family and friends on the other side helping me and cheering me on or I would not be here today. All in all God just wants everyone to be happy (even those we wish would not be allowed the privilege to be happy). And my job is to help those I can be happy.

    I have spent many years figuring this out and I am far from being done. I just feel like a lot of people just need to relax and not worry so much about who is right or wrong. We just need to learn to enjoy our neighbors company with the quirks and all.

    PS Thank you Collette for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you but I have been reading your blog for a while, and for as strange as it sounds I was really worried about you for a bit. I am glad you found happiness and inner peace. I'm not LDS, but I grew up in Utah and have seen just how much courage and strength it takes at times to tell your family and friends that you stopped going. I am really glad I found your blog because you amaze me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Collette I LOVE you. Seriously. If I wrote everything I wanted to it would take me too long and I probably shouldn't ignore my child for that long.

    I have been struggling with tons of similar questions, unhappiness, frustrations for quite some time now and maybe I will just have to write a blog post about it. I just don't know how to get it all out. I don't even know how to start it.

    I admire you for saying exactly how you feel. I'm so happy that you still believe in God. That you have found peace with your decision. You and Travis are amazing together. How is he feeling about it? (I only ask because my friends husband stopped believing and going and it's been hard on her)

    For me, If I stopped going, it would mean I don't believe there is a god. I don't know if i'm ready to accept that. I think that would be too dark of a place for me to go.

    Anyway… I love you to pieces and miss you a ridiculous amount. And there is a chance I will be going to Utah this summer and I HAVE to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote you to long of a comment they wouldnt let me publish it, so i blogged you a comment instead. When you get a chance you can read it, know it comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been reading your blogs for sometime now. I see a lot of me in your stories and you just have a way of saying what I feel. From the assult in the neighborhood to bestfriends who betray to family members who dont understand to creepy old guys in the church... I notice that (I could be wrong, I do not personally know you) that you have had several reasons for to be triggered. Many reasons to be angry. After years of struggling, you find peace in not having to fight any more. I know its hard to face your family, but the internal struggle is just easier to deal with letting go of things that dont make any sense. Its been a long difficult fight with this religion thing and I find peace in letting it go to. I need a break from all the presure of a church that never gave anything back to me when I needed it.
    I put in a lot of time and effort for what? For who? I am also a feminist and I do not like how the church does not reconize me. I also hate that I am the one who does all the work during pregnancy and the man gets reconized. I hate that I am told I have to stay at home while my husband does great things. I dont like how the orginization treat people who are just trying to find a love in a family -Gay or not- like what their doing is not enough. I find nothing wrong with drinking and living an easier life not worying about guilt. I cant stand those garments its got to be the stupist way to keep people doing what they want you to do. They force all these things on you and then make you feel bad for not doing what they ask. Dont get me started on the double standerds on the priesthood... I am just as if not more helpful in the family unit and I am the one who doesnt get to bless my family. I grew up with my father holding the priesthood and beating the wife and kids. He is the ONE that was suppose bless me? am I missing something here?
    I just read over this and it sound like I am being selfish, but screw it doing it the other way got me no where. This path has to be better for me cause now if i screw up or do something I have to just deal with me.
    Its easier and so freeing to just admit to myself the OBVIOUS holes in the church and their beliefs. And i have listend to General Confrence becuase my family does every it as a family event. I cant help but to look around and think what fools my family memebers are for believe old guys who OBVIOUSLY are rich and have nothing better to do than to beat down others who are living their lives. He thinks he has some sort of special powers that he can talk to a deity for goodness sakes!! He sounds like the old prophets always warning people... of Gods rath. God loves all shapes and sizes... I know that much to be true. I dont have to answer to anyone but myself and God. Who needs the middle man? I have prayed, and nothing. Sometimes I am upset with God too, but am not ready to admit that I dont believe in him.

    Anyways I was angry,confussed and sad too at many things in the LDS CULTURE and this is the only way I have been able to forgive all the assholes I have had to deal with. Just to stop caring about the standerds and start fresh to what is true to me.
    please keep blogging your experinces.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers