Tuesday, April 8, 2014

mommyland.

oh hey.
we just got back from the park, aka mommyland.
minivans parked up and down the streets.
kids running around, flying kites, swinging, sliding, wading in the lake.
moms everywhere, some in workout clothes, some dressed to the nines, all keeping an all seeing eye on their little person.
remy and i hit the swings, his favorite, and then sat in the grass and people watched.
the sun shone on our faces and made our eyes squint.
other moms said hi, and stopped to chat.
i felt happy.

i never would have predicted how much i'd love being a mother. how do i explain in words how my heart feels when remington runs to me, wraps his arms around my legs, and jabbers at me to hold him.

the other day, one of my friends asked me if i get bored being a stay at home mom.

yeah, sometimes. but i also got bored being a student and while working full time. there are days when we have nothing planned and i feel restless for adults and wearing nice clothes and having intellectual conversations. i miss being a student a lot, learning about things i never use in the real world.

but. i really love the slow paced life we have right now. i have time to sleep in with remington, bake bread, go to the gym, take a nap if i want, decorate my house, read as many books as i can, work in my flower garden, write, and play with my baby.

and my photography business is keeping me almost busier than i want to be.

i once had a professor who said something that stuck with me. she was in her late fifties and with her second husband. she told us that she had spent way too long trying to stay on top so that she could drive a fancy car and live in a big house. her marriage fell apart and her life fell apart. she told us that now she teaches less, lives in a smaller house, but also has time to play tennis every week with her husband. to walk her dogs and cook dinner.

there are a lot of things i want to do still. go back to school to become a sex therapist, or something in that field. get certified as a pilates instructor. write a book. record an album. and i am working on some of those things.

but for now, while remy is small, i love that i can stay home with him.

and i know i am really, really blessed to be in a financial position to stay home if i want, because a lot of parents don't have that option.

and also, some moms choose to work full time and they are great too. whatever works for you and keeps you happy.

"IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, IT CAN'T BE THAT BAD."

anyway, here are a few things we have been up to lately.



carrots make him the messiest. 



not a fan of bubble bath. 






walking in shoes, a whole different ballgame. 



all the sudden loves stuffed animals. 



this bread is DELICIOUS. i use {this} recipe. 


loves to feed us pretend food. 
it's incredible and adorable to see his imagination at work already.



visiting our firefighter at work. 



sang at a funeral for travis's uncle's mother.
i didn't even know her, but i could feel her presence while i sang. 
this is why i love singing at funerals, you always can feel the person with you. 



skipped church for a hunting expo. i'll make an apostate of him yet. (jk trav, love you.) 
long post coming soon, but trav and i always tease each other about religion,
his dedication and my leaving it. 


remy lovin' on his pop. 




drooling over daybreak's model homes by the lake. 
seriously, go walk through them and prepare to be amazed. 



hanging out with amelia, liana's sweet baby girl. 
seriously you moms of multiples, HOW? 



LOVE having morgan back in slc. 



homemade chicken and noodles, my favorite food growing up. 
use {this} recipe for the noodles, as as for the broth, i kind of just made it up. 
put your chicken (works best with a whole chicken, but all i had were breasts, and it was fine.) 
in a pot, season with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, poultry seasoning, rosemary,
 whatever else smells good to you. 
pour some white cooking wine in and deglaze. only cook the chicken enough to get a little white on the outside. then add chicken stock, to taste. like, i don't know, 8 cups. add whatever veggies you have. 
carrots, celery, whatevs. add more seasoning. 
oh and i used a ton of paprika, which gave it a nice rich, complex flavor. 
get your broth to where you like it, get it boiling, and then add your noods. 
delish.



what a handsome boy. gah! 



sometimes i wear a zebra dress. 
also, trav and i found an AMAZING italian place. 
please, for the love of marinara, don't go to olive garden. 
go to michelangelo's ristorante. 
i had their pesto gnocci, which they made daily. 
oh man, it was mouthgasmic. 


that about sums it up. oh also, something sweet. 

the other day i went to my parents' for dinner while trav was at the fire department. 
my brother asked me what i had been up to all day. 
it had  been kind of a hard day, full of crying and poopy diapers. i hadn't been able to get much done besides feeding and watching remington. 
i glumly said something like, "just hanging out with remy. didn't really do anything." 
my dad said, "hey, you took care of a helpless child all day long. you did a lot!" 

it's true. 

my dad is smart. 

and these days, i feel so much happiness, it's shooting out my bum. 

....

xo.

5 comments:

  1. shoulda called i would have gone to the park today

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i feel so much happiness, it's shooting out my bum." -- that's deserving of SOME type of wall-saying or bumper sticker or something, hahahaha. Love it. Love how you think, as always. You are gorgeous - love your wardrobe, including that sassy zebra dress! I love that you want to get certified to be a pilates instructor -- that is so awesome!!! Oh, I love pilates. Makes me want to look into getting certified too [someday ;)]. I love that your photography business is thriving [as it should! you talented lady, you]... love that you're enjoying the slow-paced life right now... wise insight from your professor. Good reminder. And I love that you're HAPPY. Religion or no religion, ya gotta do what makes you happy & eases the stress/guilt or whatever other negative emotion is nosing its way into your life. I think you're fabulous & I totally respect you. Mwah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I also just have to say -- I'm totally with you on "moms of multiples, HOW?" ...I love my little boy, but I've had wayyyy too many thoughts of him being our one & only. Like, is being a mom not hard for anyone else?! Does the whining get under other moms' skin as much as it does mine? And sometimes I just dread having a newborn again -- the sleepless the nights, the crying... newborns are so demanding!! Cute, sure, but very needy... and I'm kind of an independent, I-like-my-space-and-me-time person. And then there's the guilt-ridden, selfish, "but it's MY body I have to expand & share for 9 months -- possibly more if I breastfeed.. then get back into shape... and I'm already feeling good & relatively IN shape right now.." yada yada... and I feel awful even thinking that. But I'd like for Jaden to have at least one other sibling.. I don't know. Yeah. Anyway... sometimes I feel like I'm the only mom in the world who is considering only having one, haha. We'll see! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're finding a happy spot Collette and Remy just keeps getting cuter and cuter! Just wanted to leave a comment in regards to yours about missing school. I just discovered Coursera.org AWESOME. Free online classes from top universities. I've taken a child nutrition, adult nutrition, and am working on an archeology one right now, all have been really great. They have TONS of new classes constantly available in all different categories. You should check it out in all your spare time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you cute girl you! I'm so glad your business is thriving and that you are HAPPY :) Kelly kind of took the words out of my mouth, but I am truly happy for you! You and Trav seem sooo happy (I'm sure you have bad days... it's what keeps things fresh, am i right?) but you guys are too cute and made an adorable little baby boy! one day I hope to be home too, and {when} I am... let's do some park dates, we live insanely close to each other! oh, and i still have your bowl... 6 freaking months later. i.am.the.worst! anyway, I feel like Congrats sums this all up pretty well. you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers