Tuesday, July 29, 2014

overnighter on the south fork and island park family reunion.

i'm falling behind in our summer adventures.
in july we headed up to idaho for the annual charles family reunion.
travis had to work the 4th of july, so i went on an overnighter fishing trip on the south fork with my dad and brother reed. (oma watched remy.)


 my dad has been inviting me to go on this overnighter for about 10 years. i've always said no for several reasons. i don't enjoy pooping in the woods and i don't really love camping somewhere without any running water bathrooms. also i don't really love to fish and two 12 hours days of fly fishing in a boat just isn't my cuppa.  but ever since my pregnancy when i promised myself i'd appreciate life as a healthy able bodied person and take whatever opportunities came my way, i've been saying yes to more things.

the trip ended up being a really great time!





i was able to read without the interruptions of a toddler and i got through the first two divergent books, which were addictive. also, sunbathing. i tried rowing for about... 5 minutes. yeah that didn't work out with my shrimpy arms.





 ridiculously gorgeous scenery.



here's where we set up camp for the night. we got a pretty little stream that filtered off of the main river. also some people were camped on the other side of our little island and they were having a grand old party. they shot off some huge fireworks, so we got our 4th of july show.

i pooped in the woods, multiple times.
it wasn't that traumatic.




my dad, the master fisherman teaching me the ways. he and reed caught around 30 fish. i caught three.
also my dad spoke in a hillbilly accent and called himself "hank" almost the entire trip.
if you know my dad, you know that this is sort of surprising.


i was definitely ready to get off the boat after our second 12 hour day.
travis met up with us the next morning in idaho falls and we headed up to island park for the reunion.

we rented a paddle board and also a canoe that travis and i capsized multiple times. one of the times, remy was with us, so he experienced his first snake river baptism. (he had a life jacket on and didn't even get his head wet.)






that night we drove in to west yellowstone for pizza with the whole family and to see a play at the local playhouse, the playmill. highly recommend going to a show if you are up that direction!


my parents generously gave up their tickets to us and watched the babe.

the next day we went boating on island park reservoir. remy took a little while to warm up to the idea.










we had a really great time. i'd been worried that remy wouldn't sleep well in the cabin full of loud people who aren't used to being quiet for a baby, but he did so well, which made the trip enjoyable for us too. the weather was beautiful and sunny, we got to see travis every day for a whole week, (!) and it was fun seeing family who live far away. (and i just realized i didn't get any pictures with them...)





hope you are having a good summer too!

xo.

1 comment:

  1. I have a cabin on the Henry's Fork of the Snake river. It is where the river flows into Island Park Resorvoir. Your pictures and your narrative almost perfectly mirrors my wife and I, when I was a young firefighter and we would camp with family up there.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers